Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Roti Grill

Where:  4438 McKinney Avenue, Suite 100

Menu:  http://freshindianfood.com/menu_dallas.html

What:  Lunch with some of the girls from work

Scene:  To me, it looks like the cafeteria at a high tech Silicon Valley company, circa 2001.  (Not that I've ever seen one, it's just what it brings to mind.)  It's bare, done in neutral colors, generally unremarkable.  You order at the counter, and you can take out or eat at one of the surprisingly comfy booths.

Drinks:  Sadly, water.  It was a work lunch, after all.

Food: 
I've heard this place called the Pei Wei of Indian food.  I can see what they mean--this is definitely Uncle Sam's Indian food.  But here's where the analogy falls apart:  To me, Pei Wei is resolutely "all right."  I'm not judging--there's a Pei Wei a block from my house and it's saved me on more nights than I care to count.  Truthfully, part of my Pei Wei peeve might be based on over-consumption.  But, whatever Roti Grill lacks in authenticity, it makes up for with awesomeness.  There, I said it.
The naan and the roti are fantastic.  The naan (flat white bread) is soft, puffy, salty.  The roti (flat wheat bread) is slightly chewy and has a great nutty taste.  Eat them quickly--they're significantly better when they're warm. 
I got the vegetable and paneer (Indian cheese) vindaloo, extra hot.  For those who don't know, vindaloo is a mouth-scorching version of curry.  Or it should be.  And this is my only problem with Roti Grill:  Their spice levels are really inconsistent.  Sometimes, the extra hot vindaloo is tear inducing and esophagus-searing, just the way I like it.  But other times, like today, it's only moderately hot.  Warm, even.
A tablemate got the chicken masala, medium hot, and she let me taste it.  (Sidenote:  If there's one quality I love in a person, it's a willingness to share food.  That, and a healthy susceptibility to peer pressure.)  It was lovely, with a rich balance of tomatoes and spices.

Bonus:  Pickled onions.  I was mocked, but I had to try them.  And they're good!  But watch out:  1. They stain your fingers, and 2.  they give you temporary halitosis.  Double bonus:  Grab some caraway seeds to munch on the way out the door.

Damage:  ~$12 / person.

Overall:  I'll be back.  Probably next week.

Final Note:  For more authentic Indian, try Taj Express.  Review to come.

Sincerely,
The U.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment