Wednesday, September 15, 2010

NHS Tavern (A Neighborhood Services outpost on Henderson)

Where:  2405 N. Henderson St., Dallas, Texas

Menu:  http://www.neighborhoodservicesdallas.com/downloads/tavernmenu.pdf

What:  Dinner

Scene:  Tavern. 
When I hear the word, I think of sailors, Brits, and other salty types.  If you have a similar mental image, then be advised, there's no truth in this advertising.  The place is trendy, dimly lit, and has a Crate & Barrel-esque leather and light colored wood interior that's entirely too clean (and bland) to be "Tavern." 

When I hear "tavern," I also think "boozing."  If there's food at all, it's ancillary.  But this is not that place.  There's a definite restaurant vibe--I don't think a rowdy crowd of drinks-only revelers would be welcome here.

They do resemble a tavern in one way though:  the noise.  The music is constant, and loud.  (But not overly memorable--I can't recall a single song we heard last night.)  In fact, I would recommend this place for a first date with someone you don't know, but suspect you might not enjoy talking to for extended periods of time.

Drinks:
I had the "Bourbon and Bullets."  Despite the tough name, this drink would never make it in my mental tavern.  I'm a convert none the less.  Through some kind of alchemy, the absinthe-bourbon combination perfectly evoked that feeling in the air on the first day of Fall.  (And I'm not talking Texas fall.  I'm talking real, crispy air, burning leaves delicious Fall.)  It was smooth, it wasn't too sweet, and the licorice flavor of the absinthe was subtle.  I liked it so much, I stuck with it all night.

Food:
It's a case of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on this one. 
The Good:  The chicken pot pie special was delicious.  It was creamy and herbaceous, the chicken was well cooked, and the cheddar biscuit topping was...well re-read that.  You know it was good. 
The Bad:  We split the roasted beet salad to start.  It was overly dressed and overly acidic, to the point that you couldn't taste the beets (or even the apples) at all.
The Ugly:  The scallops were ... "mess" is too strong.  The crab couscous was nice and delicate, but I can't for the life of me figure out the rest of the dish.  The chorizo was chewy, the scallops were only seared (and not well) on one side, and both were covered with a very, very acidic barbeque-type sauce. 

Bonus Points:
The service was good (if somewhat abrupt) and they give you Junior Mints with the check.  When it comes to Junior Mints, Seinfeld said it best.

The Damage:  Somewhat substantial.  Largely because the drinks add up. 

Overall:
I'd go back for a B&B and the pot pie.

TTYL,
The U.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment