Thursday, December 8, 2011

Darwin's Ltd.

Where:  148 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA

Menu:  http://darwinsltd.com/

Drinks:  Excellent cappucinos; good, strong coffee.  They also sell wine and beer, but only with a MA drivers' license or a passport. 

Food:  This has become one of my go to spots.  Should I be pleased or embarassed that they know me now?  I guess I'm both.  This makes the food review a bit harder - I'm biased, and I've had a lot of different items. 

My favorite thing to get there is a breakfast sandwich - especially the Garden (eggs over medium on sourdough or rye, tomato, onion, bell pepper, add avocado).  Fast becoming a Saturday tradition.  Throw in some rosemary potatoes and you're set for an afternoon of college football.  Be sure to tip the counterguys--it's hot and cramped back there, they're working fast, and they're awesome.  That is all.

I also love their vegetarian sandwiches, vegetable curry, and prepared salads (grilled corn and peaches?  don't mind if I do!). 

The soups, however, are hit and miss.  A jalapeno - butternut squash soup was light and flavorful, but a beef stew was inedible (too thin, overly greasy, and oddly flavored). 

Bonus:  The place itself.  There's not a hint of starbucks, it's not stereotypically "coffeehouse," it's not trying to be anything it's not.  It's a place that is very much about place.  What I mean is that this particular place (Darwin's) can only exist in this particular place (Cambridge).  It doesn't feel like equally cool places (Izzy's) in equally cool locations (Asheville, NC) because it's so organic to the area.  Part of the credit goes to the staff.  They're a take no bullshit crowd, but they're smart, funny, and fun.

Extra bonus:  It's a neighborhood market.  Look for craft beer, wine, cheese & crackers, fresh produce, a mind blowing array of baked goods (including gluten free), and my current obsession - Maple Valley Creamery Ice Cream.

Extra, extra bonus: the fresh Darwin's mugs.  I want one...but they're pricey!  Maybe a Christmas present to myself...

That's all for now,

the U.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment